Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The End of Life

As I end my rotation in hospice and palliative medicine, I struggle to construct a reflection of my experience. I am not even sure of the reasons. I was too engrossed or too detached? Too close or too far? So I will just have to counsel myself...

So what came to my mind when I realized that this was my last day? I thought, I was leaving PGH and going back to my mother hospital.

So what did I feel when I thought of this? I felt relieved because I will no longer be subjected to very stressful situations but at the same time I felt sad because I am going to leave a good place of learning and this will also end a wonderful experience.

Let us probe on the wonderful experience, what were these experiences? I enjoyed the home visits especially going to Madre de Amor in Laguna. I was so thrilled to find out that a community-based organization is doing hospice care to home bound patients. And these are volunteers both from the medical and non-medical field. If only there could be more such foundations around the country. Another experience I enjoyed so much was teaching the students and sharing with other doctors the importance and significance of the psychosocial-spiritual dimension of care. I enjoyed sharing my thoughts and insights about the spiritual aspect and how it greatly helps in health care. The other activities were also fun and exciting. I also have to point out the wonderful experience I had with the people I worked with, especially with my fellow residents and the fellows. I hope this is the start of a long-lasting friendship.

What else? I still have a lot in mind. But this will suffice for now. Maybe next time I could articulate them better.

No comments: