Saturday, May 5, 2012

BV (Branch of the Vine)


This weeks Gospel lesson is from the Gospel According to John 15:1-8.
15:1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower.
15:2 He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit.
15:3 You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you.
15:4 Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me.
15:5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.
15:6 Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.
15:7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
15:8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.
Becoming a better Christian in the workplace has many unique challenges especially in the hospital. One of the common scenes we find in our job as doctors is the trust and appreciation our patients, especially when they get cured from their illnesses, give to the word MD (Medical Doctor). Don’t get me wrong, it is not wrong to trust and appreciate the doctors, in fact trust is important and the appreciation doctors receive is also appreciated. But what become problematic are the overflowing trust and the never ending appreciation that encourages doctors to begin looking at themselves highly for having an MD attached to their name. For oftentimes, an MD seems to give doctors license to glorify themselves.
Doctors are supposed to improve the health of people, cure the sick and heal those hurting. This is the task that the general population expect us to do. Of course, as MD we will do that. But for us Christian doctors, we know that we are mere instruments of God’s healing ministry. It is the touch of God that heals the brokenness of the human body. It is the One True God of Medicine who is the Ultimate Physician where we only take part. We doctors should not glorify ourselves for having an MD because we know we are just BV (Branches of the Vine). It is only through the vine where we the branches can bear fruit.
As Christian Doctors, we are reminded that our task (healing) in the workplace is to be part of the healing ministry of Jesus – to be the branch of the vine (BV). The overrated recognition of the doctors’ superb knowledge and skills in treating patient neglects the fact that the doctors’ gift is possible only because of God. The Christian Doctor knows that the good fruit of healing the sick comes only from being a branch connected to the vine who is Jesus Christ. The recognition the doctor receive should be given back to the source of the gift. Glory must not be to us doctors but we should tell our patients and their family to bring back all the glory and praise to God. For it is only being connected to the vine of Jesus that we doctors, the branches, can bear good fruits. The text reminds us as we bear witness of our faith in the workplace, that an MD does not give us reason to glorify ourselves rather it is our witness that we are a BV.

No comments: